Thursday 12 March 2015

Samples 2015: Week 9, Parasols

 
All hand stitched, on hand dyed calico over felt.
White viscose tape couched with stranded cotton, punched card circles attached with straight stitches, French knots.

Source picture
From this article in the Saturday Guardian 28/02/15:
“World view: gridlock on the beach in Italy. A perfectly groomed beach with tasteful sunloungers and parasols artfully arranged to cram in thousands of holidaymakers.”
Life’s a beach … as long as you keep it neat and tidy. Photograph: Bernhard Lang

Sample design
I edited a section to remove all but the striped line and the parasols and empty parasol bases. It looked simple – but I underestimated the trickiness of circles! They had to be nice regular circles so I couldn’t hand cut or stitch them. Buttons were too thick, sequins too sparkly. In the end I decided to use a hole punch to create white card circles – their tiny size then determined the scale of the sample. I let myself off any attempt at the red rings on the parasols and did “struts” instead.    

1 comment:

Beverley said...

like this, excellent take on the image.