Thursday 16 July 2015

Samples 2015: Week 27, Dune

Embellisher felting and hand stitch. Two layers of fine wool mix felt meshed together by using the embellisher on the purple side only, in the dune pattern.
Then stem stitch in stranded cotton.

Source picture
From this article in the Saturday Guardian 04/07/15:
“Dune, 50 years on: how a science fiction novel changed the world. It has sold millions of copies, is perhaps the greatest novel in the science-fiction canon and Star Wars wouldn’t have existed without it. Frank Herbert’s Dune should endure as a politically relevant fantasy from the Age of Aquarius.”
On the desert planet... Illustration: Robert Ball/Review
Sample design
Love that tangerine and purple – reminds me of my teenage bedroom! Needle felting (using the embellisher) seemed the best match for the soft dune pattern, but I wasn’t sure if it would be enough… it wasn’t. Running stitch didn’t work on the thick felt, so I tried stem stitch – and really enjoyed it! The slowness didn’t help my post-holiday catch up, but I think it was worth it.     

1 comment:

Beverley said...

Ha, my teenage bedroom was a pale lilac with big purple flowered curtains. Do like the effect you have here.