Thursday 4 June 2015

Samples 2015: Week 21, Agnes Martin

Lutradur 70 painted metallic gold using acrylics. Machine stitched grid in variegated thread.
Boring! Even if the gold had shone in the photo. But, another week ticked off. 

Source picture
From this article in the Saturday Guardian 23/05/15:
“Agnes Martin: the artist mystic who disappeared into the desert. In the summer of 1967, Martin left New York and went off-grid before reappearing in New Mexico. The art she made there – with its buoyant bands of colour – offer no clues to the turbulent life of an artist who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Ahead of a major retrospective, Olivia Laing celebrates her visions of pure joy.”

 
 Friendship, 1963 by Agnes Martin
Sample design
Martin’s piece is incised gold leaf and gesso, so I used a metallic gold background for my sample. A machine stitched grid was an easy choice, but to diverge further from the source I chose a bright variegated thread.  

1 comment:

Beverley said...

I like this, though probably because I have a piece in my table which is grids, and considering making more. I know, its harder to stitch a straight line than you think!