Sunday 2 August 2015

Samples 2015: Week 30, “Olive ebola”

Running stitch in doubled fine wool on a piece of birch bark.
 
Source picture
“Olive oil prices surge due to drought and disease in Spain and Italy. Producers say this year’s harvests are worst they have seen, as consumer demand begins to outstrip supply.”
Red crosses painted on olive trees that need to be cut down to contain an outbreak of ‘olive ebola’ in Puglia, southern Italy. Photograph: Max Frigione/AP

Sample design
I’ve never tried stitching on real bark, so this was my chance! Even I wasn't going to try this with the Bernina though, it had to be hand stitch. All I could find was birch, and it was a bit tricky – both tough and brittle. The little scar marks pop right out if you try and push a needle through so I had to stitch between those. A bit of fun but once is probably enough.

2 comments:

Emma said...

wonderful, great to try new things ;)

Anonymous said...

I've had some success stitching on very thin peelings of birch bark and flakes of yew bark, but they're best stitched fresh!