Monday 10 August 2015

Samples 2015: Week 31, British Library

Pieced cotton and polycotton fabrics with automatic machine stitching and hand stitched buttons.

Source picture
From this article in the Saturday Guardian 1/08/15:
British Library awarded Grade I-listed building status. Structure once called ‘one of the ugliest buildings in the world’ in parliament and denounced by Prince Charles now ‘one of England’s finest modern buildings’.”
The British Library, the largest public building to be built in the UK in the 20th century. Photograph: DCMS/PA
Sample design
I chose a little square using the old L-shaped cards.
Then one thing led to another…
Having taken so little of the source picture I thought the colours at least should be fairly true.
So the materials and technique depended on what I could find in suitable colours. I’d have liked felt, but had nothing close – but I did have some cotton and polycotton. And then it became about sewing, not the embellisher.
And the three circles called for buttons, so the buttons I found then determined the scale!

1 comment:

Beverley said...

I love that place. You are so good at these interpretations Anne.